It's your chance to try Bangla-dash, Crop Duster and the French Tickler, while stocking up on your already-favorites! Buy any three jars and try ONE new flavor for free. Or get ALL THREE new flaves and pick TWO free jars of anything you want. All the jars should be the same size. There's no code. Just tell us what you want your free flavors to be in the NOTES section at check-out. The sale's on like Donkey King through Friday, August 10 at midnight, Iowa time. Check out these savvy Salty Dog testimonials!
Get on board Saltlickers' first state fair cooking contest on Saturday, August 18 at 1:30! It's an amazing way to experience Iowa culinary history and meet the gals and guys who've been working this unique cultural corner for a long time. We're talking bucket list stuff, people. Here are some things you should know...
1) Show up with your dish at drop-off time, and state fair minions will take it away from you. It will go room temp before you see it again, so consider this if you're thinking about making a dish that needs to be heated or can't sit out—like Cream of Saltlickers Soup. You can ask the state fair minions to reheat it, but you'll have little control over how they reheat it. This is why the "Banana Quick Breads" category has hundreds of entrants, and "Hot Mayonnaise Magic" has a lot of empty seats.
2) You can sign up for multiple contests on a single entry fee. So on Saturday, August 18, you can sign up for "Saltlickers Grand Slam" (sponsored by us) AND "Support Your Local Mushroom Farmer," "Tailgating Treats for My Team," and "Candy Chemistry"!!!! I mean WHAT?!?!
3) See you at the craft beer tent afterwards, and clear off a shelf for all those trophies, champion!
1st place - $50 plus a four ounce gift box (3 flavors) of your choice
2nd place - Four ounce gift box (3 flavors) of your choice
3rd place - Two ounce gift box (3 flavors) of your choice
Each entrant will receive a coupon for a free 2 oz jar!
1. Present your best dish made with any Saltlickers spice blend.
2. Proof of purchase is required. Places to purchase Saltlickers products may be found at http://www.salt-lickers.com/find/.
3. Entries will be judged on Taste, Creativity and Presentation.
For info, check out this PDF or email us with questions.
I'm so excited about this Killer Cocktail class tonight at Cooks' Emporium!
First, we'll cook up different styles of simple syrups—the cornerstone of the cocktail—some with spice blends, some with fresh herbs, then we'll practice making the perfect booze to syrup to mixer ratio. We'll put together the perfect punch for any occasion, no matter what kind of booze and ingredients you prefer. Last but not least, we're going to light some S'mores chocolate vodka Jello shots on fire with a kitchen torch and make Booz-ores! We'll practice opening up the marshmallows hands on—that's the hard part. We'll also be sampling salted homemade cider to start at 6, and that's not code, folks!
It's a spike your own drink event, so you'll need 3 bottles of airplane liquor (you could just bring a pint). One should be clear (gin or vodka). The other two can be anything. All the same kind = fine. I recommend unflavored as the flavors in flavored boozes (like cotton candy whiskey) will crush the taste of every other ingredient around it.
Walk in at 6 = OK. This is only $10, and will change your life. The last time I had my life changed for $10 was with a really bad tattoo. This will be 10,000 times better than that.https://www.cooksemporiumames.com/events
This summer demo at Cook's Emporium is going to be a blast! We'll be covering simple syrups, slamming summer punches, rimmers, and even Jello shots! It's BYO, and you'll need about 3 or 4 airplane bottles for the class. I'll have the recipes this weekend so you'll know what kinds to bring. Space is limited, so sign up soon!
The Des Moines Farmer's Market is always doing cool stuff! Just in time for Iowa Craft Brew Festival '18, they've teamed up with Court Avenue Restaurant & Brewing Company to release a special brew: Farmers' Market Gold. For the next month (while supplies last), $1 from every pint sold will be donated to The Market’s Meals From The Market program.
Five-and-a-half-barrels of the Belgian Strong Ale is being brewed, which is made in part with ingredients from The Market including 25 pounds of honey from Soder Apiaries and 3 pounds of rosemary from US!
Visit the Downtown Farmers' Market this Saturday and stop by CABCo at 9 a.m. for your first pint or visit the Iowa Craft Brew Festival for a tasting.
Behold our new flavor, Bangla-dash! Glenda nailed the name, but check out all the hilarious ideas you Salty Dogs sent in! It’ll be at markets and online in July. Sign up for our newsletter at the bottom of the page for a sweet new flavor sale coming soon!
SALTY DOG IDEARS
Calling Dr. Bombay
High Five, Mumbai!
We got two more in the chute.
Some of you know that in addition to being a tornado-esque home cook, I'm also a poet. Here's a little piece I wrote about The Pickling Poet, artisanal makers of inspired homemade pickles and jams inspired by poems and poetry. Every order comes with a original poem in the box!
It's raining so hard here, we can't get out gear into the car, so we'll see you at the Des Moines DT Farmers Market NEXT week, Salty Dogs! If you're jonesing, try Gateway Market or Wheatsfield in Ames!
Our weekend at the Mycelium Mysteries Women's Mushroom Retreat was MIND BLOWING. And not because we ate the magic kind. Thank you, Midwest Women's Herbal Conference, for cultivating this incredible network of goddesses!
Below is the list of spices we used. I'll be posting my recipes here soon!
Catch us at the Uptown Ankeny Farmer's Market this Saturday! I switched the dates on the last newsletter, but this is real and true! Saturday 16 = Ankeny! Saturday 23 = Des Moines! Holler if you want anything spesh (We got your lb of GGF all set to go, nice lady)!
Saturday, August 19 at 3:00 p.m.
Sponsored by Saltlickers, Michael and Barbara Ching
1st place - $50 and a 4 ounce gift pack of Saltlickers spices ($20 value)
2nd place - $30
3rd place - $20
Each entrant will receive a 2 ounce jar of Saltickers spices.
1. Create a dish prominently featuring mushrooms.
2. Mushrooms must be purchased from grocery store or farmer’s market.
3. Mushrooms must be cooked.
4. Entries will be judged on how well the dish showcases the unique umami flavor of mushrooms and originality.
For more info, click here.
This is an amazing way to experience Iowa culinary history. It's also a great way to meet the gals and guys who've been working the fair for a long, long time. Here are some things you should know.
) You show up with your dish at the drop-off time, and they take it away from you. Buh-bye, dish!
2) If it's a hot, hot dish, it will probably go room temp before you see it again. You can ask them to reheat it, but you'll have little control over how or how long they reheat it. So consider making a room-temp dish. This is probably why baked goods categories can have hundreds of entrants, and "Fun with Fondue" has a lot of empty seats.3) Sign up for multiple contests on a single entry fee. So on Saturday, August 19, you can sign up for Mushroom Mania, sponsored by us, as well as Best Pita Sandwich; Candy Chemistry; Fast, Healthy & Tasty; Christmas Favorites; Winning-est Cookies; Keith’s Beer Breads; Picklicious Recipes with Gedney; Beautiful Gingerbread Houses (OMG!!!!!!); Souper Soups; Spotlighting Spuds; Chicken Wings; or Critter Cupcakes! Clear off a shelf for all those trophies, champion!
For info, check out this PDF or email us with questions.
4) See you at the craft beer tent afterwards!
This savvy 'Lick fan did her homework! She signed up for the Des Moines Farmers Market's "Rise & Shine Deal" text message. Our deal's buy-three-get-one-free. She also checked Facebook to get our Secret Word and got $1 off every jar. So she scored FOUR large jars for just $22!!! What the what?!?
In her honor, we're having a Summer Savvy Smart Attack Sale in our online shop. It's our biggest sale ever!
Use the code SMARTATTACK at checkout to get four 4 oz jars for $22
or use the code SMARTATTACK2 to get four 2 oz jars for $17
Tell us in the notes what you want your free jar to be. You can get a wrapped gift box for a friend, and a jar free for you! Sale ends Tues, June 27 at midnight Iowa time.
Text "Market" to 46986 to sign up for "Rise & Shine" deals.