Saturday, August 19 at 3:00 p.m.
Sponsored by Saltlickers, Michael and Barbara Ching
1st place - $50 and a 4 ounce gift pack of Saltlickers spices ($20 value)
2nd place - $30
3rd place - $20
Each entrant will receive a 2 ounce jar of Saltickers spices.
1. Create a dish prominently featuring mushrooms.
2. Mushrooms must be purchased from grocery store or farmer’s market.
3. Mushrooms must be cooked.
4. Entries will be judged on how well the dish showcases the unique umami flavor of mushrooms and originality.
For more info, click here.
This is an amazing way to experience Iowa culinary history. It's also a great way to meet the gals and guys who've been working the fair for a long, long time. Here are some things you should know.
) You show up with your dish at the drop-off time, and they take it away from you. Buh-bye, dish!
2) If it's a hot, hot dish, it will probably go room temp before you see it again. You can ask them to reheat it, but you'll have little control over how or how long they reheat it. So consider making a room-temp dish. This is probably why baked goods categories can have hundreds of entrants, and "Fun with Fondue" has a lot of empty seats.3) Sign up for multiple contests on a single entry fee. So on Saturday, August 19, you can sign up for Mushroom Mania, sponsored by us, as well as Best Pita Sandwich; Candy Chemistry; Fast, Healthy & Tasty; Christmas Favorites; Winning-est Cookies; Keith’s Beer Breads; Picklicious Recipes with Gedney; Beautiful Gingerbread Houses (OMG!!!!!!); Souper Soups; Spotlighting Spuds; Chicken Wings; or Critter Cupcakes! Clear off a shelf for all those trophies, champion!
For info, check out this PDF or email us with questions.
4) See you at the craft beer tent afterwards!